9.04.2008

mandatory evaucation

Last week, our area was under mandatory evacuation because of Hurricane Gustave. We decided to go to my parents house and leave on Saturday night, instead of when the mandatory evacuation officially started on Sunday morning. Thankfully, the traffic wasn't near as bad as when we had to evacuate for hurricane Rita. This time it took us about 3 hours to drive what is normally about a 2 hour trip, as compared to hurricane Rita where it took us 13 hours to drive what is normally a 3 hour trip. That weekend was labor day weekend and we had lots of fun spending it with my family. We sort of figured our area wouldn't be hit that hard, but didn't want to risk it with 3 small children and me being 7 months pregnant. It turns out our area barely got any rain, but we did get a fun weekend out of it and Dario got several days off of school, which he was happy about. Hopefully that is all of the evacuating we have to do this hurricane season!

1 comment:

emily paige said...

I'm so glad I missed that evacuation! I guess that not much happened anyway, but I'm glad that my visit was slightly less eventful. Glad y'all had fun with your family!