10.22.2011
one month old
Today my baby is one month old. Yesterday I was able to hold her for the first time in two weeks. I held her until my arms felt like they were going to give. She looked into my eyes and feel asleep in my arms, it was heaven! It gave me strength for the horribly depressing meeting Brian and I had with the cardiologists. They told us they believe eventually Dahlia will need a heart transplant. They want us to come to a decision, if the time comes, to proceed with a transplant, or bring her home to spend what little time she has left with us, under the care of hospice. A heart transplant sounds like the natural choice a parent would make. However, a transplanted heart in a young baby, on average lasts only about 10 - 15 years, and the process and operation on a baby so young can be very brutal and can take a huge emotional toll on the family. We have a very hard decision to make. I was able to hold it together during the meeting without a single tear. However, once I got back to Dahlia's room I cried and cried, it seems like I have been doing a lot of that lately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
i'm so glad you were finally able to hold her! we are all praying for sweet precious dahlia.
What a terrible decision to have to make. So happy you got to hold her. I will continue to pray for dahlia. Thanks for posting.
Emily, you are so very strong. I'm so glad my brother has such a wonderful companion to help him through this incomprehensibly dificult time. It is so hard for me to see my little brother deal with such difficulty. I can't even imagine the emotions ya'll must be feeling. Michelle and I continuously pray for Dalhia and for you and Brian.
Our Prayers are with you and your family.
Love Stacey and Barry Pittman
We're praying for you and your family. What a hard trial!
Oh Emily, I just never know what to say.. my heart breaks for you and your family every time i think about you guys. We are praying and hoping for dahlia and you all. So happy for you that you were able to finally hold her. I'm always thinking about you and wishing there was more for me to say or do. I hope you know how much we love you all!
Oh Emily...I want to talk to you so badly! I really want to see you, but I've been a little sick from the kiddos I work with and DEFINITELY not wanting to pass that on to you and sweet Dahlia. I hope you know that I am here for you always. You have been constantly in our prayers.
My heart sinks every time I think about what is happening with Dahlia. Sweet Dahlia, you, and your family are constantly in my prayers.
Post a Comment